Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Review: No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone

The following is a guest review, written by my wonderful mother.

No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone - by Tom Bower

It’s Sunday afternoon and sitting at Heathrow Terminal 5, need to find something to read on the flight. Circling the shelves of the book shop looking for inspiration, Bernie is on the phone but this time not in the aisle of our local supermarket but on the cover of No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone.  Hmmm this could be an interesting read; love Formula 1, curious about the subject, done deal!  The book and I are on the way to Chicago.

Not what I expected, couldn’t put the book down until the flight landed and I had to put it down. Yes it is about Bernie Ecclestone, however it more interestingly gave me an overview of how this great show that is Formula 1 became what it is today and a bit of a peak into the lives and people that are part of it.  Along the way yes I did find out about Bernie, at least what he and others chose to tell the writer and that was very interesting.

When the book finished with me it did change my opinion of some of the ‘characters’ and I knew more about the sport than I did before I got onto my flight.  The man in the supermarket is no longer a stranger but someone with more depth about him, and yes someone that I do admire for his business acumen but also see the naivety in the man when it comes to his personal life.  Or is that naivety just a man being honourable?  I don’t know, judge for yourself.

Final Comments: 
Soap Operas: Dallas, Dynasty and now No Angel





Release Date: February 2011 (Paperback)
Publisher: Faber and Faber
Author: Tom Bower

No comments:

Post a Comment